Hints to help your first grader:
- Homework is a reinforcement of skills taught in class.
- Choose a time and place for your child to do his/her homework
- Read at least 10 minutes together each night.
- Talk about and ask questions about the story.
- Let your child see you reading. Share with them a love for learning
- Use proper handwriting positions
- Write in a diary or journal 3 times per week. Click here for journal topics:
- Encourage your child to sound out words. Show them the grown-up writing when theyre finished.
Practice the following math skills at home
- Counting to 100 by 1s, 5s, 10s,
- Identifying numbers 100-200
- Addition facts 0+ 1-10
Numbers that add to 10
- Time to the quarter hour
- Counting coins pennies, nickels, and dimes
Visit www.emgames.com for practice games we play in class.
- Unpack your childs backpack with them each day.
- Keep school notices and other important information in a special place.
- Encourage your child to talk about their day.